Engineers Provide Significant Value to Society
Problem solvers, organizers, communicators, calculators, and programmers are engineers. They can clearly identify a problem and its related items (such as time, cost, protection, reliability, etc.) and provide a simple solution.
Role and Function of an Engineer
Technology has not seen a stop since the first industrial revolution began in the mid-19th century. In addition, at the same speed, the concept of an engineer, the various fields, roles, and responsibilities have also evolved.
As it has totally changed the course of our lives, engineering has become an extremely important field! It puts wide burdens on them and challenges their authorities as well.
Responsibility is the state or fact of having responsibility or power over another to deal with something. There are two forms of engineering duties, one is towards the job and the other is directed towards the community. He should be completely aware of what he is doing and what social consequences it will have. Every job should be honestly completed, considering so many things in mind, such as:
- Ensuring the public’s safety and well-being.
- Ensure that the funds and services of society relating to technology are well used.
- Holding its environmental impact in mind when doing any job,
- Refusing to work for a certain organization on a specific task.
- Speaking against wrong or wrong-doing stuff.
- Provide non-expert technical advice.
- He can use his knowledge only for good.
- Try to send 100% towards work at all times.
- Customers should have respect for colleagues.
- Engagement in designing and implementing sustainable technologies.
- Choose quick and risk-free ways to deal with a crisis.
- Do not combine professional roles with personal interests.
- Do not, directly or indirectly, accept fees or allowances.
- Engineers recognize their mistakes and do not change the facts.
- Engineers must notify their customers or employers when they think a project is not going to be successful.
- Do not reveal sensitive data.
- Engineers who suspect that others are guilty or are engaging in criminal practice must provide the appropriate authority for action with such knowledge.
- Designing ideas to suit the needs of consumers. Approve only certain engineering documents that are in accordance with the requirements in place.
- Do not disclose evidence, data, or details without the client or employer’s prior consent, except as allowed or necessary by law.
- The illegal practice of engineering by an individual or company should not be helped.
- Perform services in areas of expertise only.
- Engineers perform tasks only if they are trained through training or experience in the relevant technical fields involved.
- Engineers shall not affix their signatures to any plans or documents dealing with the subject matter in which they lack expertise, or to any plans or documents not drawn up and supervised by them.
- Engineers can accept assignments and assume responsibility for organizing an entire project and sign and seal the engineering documents for the entire project, provided that only the eligible engineers who prepared the section are signed and sealed by each technical segment.
- Present comments in public only in an impartial and honest way.
- In technical studies, declarations, or evidence, engineers must be objective and factual.
- Technical opinions based on knowledge of the facts and expertise in the subject matter can be expressed publicly by engineers.
- Act as faithful agents or trustees for each employer or customer.
- Engineers shall report all known or possible conflicts of interest that may affect their judgment or the quality of their services, or appear to affect them.
- Engineers shall not, either directly or indirectly, accept financial or other beneficial consideration from outside agents in connection with the work for which they are responsible.
- Engineers shall not accept a contract from a governmental agency acting as a member of the principal or officer of their organization
- An engineer’s major duty is to act as an honest member and, while working as a team, to avoid dirty politics.
Dedication from the engineering profession to put public safety and interest ahead of all other concerns is the most essential responsibility of an engineer.
Main Authority of an Engineer
In short, the power or right to issue orders, make decisions, and impose compliance is the formal right to make choices. One who has it must use it correctly for the organization’s improvement. An engineer’s authority relies on the role he has in the company, the higher the position means getting more decision-making authorities.
Summary of Engineering Role, Authority, and Responsibility
- To update or modify the requirements of any content.
- At any time, to inspect the job.
- To order for any variation, alteration, and modification of the work and for additional work.
- To grant certificates as per agreement.
- To grant the completion time extension.
- Disapproving any material if it is not needed or is not of the standard required